In the book, What Would Your Character Do? The authors, Eric Maisel, Ph.D. and Ann Maisel, give a multitude of scenarios and questions to ask your character or to see how your character reacts.
Let's look at one of those scenarios:
Your character has a seat in a lounge chair at the near empty pool. Shortly after sitting, a stranger enters the pool area and has a seat next to your character. The stranger asks the character a very personal question. How does your character respond?
- Does your character respond only if
- She finds the stranger attractive
- She finds the stranger safe
- She finds the stranger interesting
- She finds the stranger dangerous
- She finds the stranger familiar
What techniques do you use to develop your characters?