Wednesday, May 11, 2011

God's Pruning

John 15:2 NIV  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit He prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.

A few weekends ago I went to prune our bushes and while pruning a rather large shrub at the edge of the house, my thoughts turned to John 15:2.

I cut off some branches and cut back others. To the casual observer, it appeared that my pruning would ruin the shrub but I knew as I cut branch after branch that the shrub would grow stronger and more beautiful after my pruning.

Many times tragedy strikes in our lives and we think we won't survive, but God uses those tragedies to strengthen us and make us more beautiful and more fruitful. He knows us, inside and out and He knows how to prune us in order to make us into the person He wants us to become.

During seasons of pruning, we will experience pain and unpleasantness but God gives beauty for ashes. As we prune and trim our trees and our shrubs because we care about their heath and beauty, God prunes us because He loves us and He cares about our spiritual health and our spiritual beauty.

He prunes us because He loves us too much to leave us alone. He may use a tragedy, pain, despair or even a blessing to prune us but prune us He will. Because He loves us.

4 comments:

Aimee Dumas said...

I was talking with a friend about this topic the other day! I told her that I had actually asked for a faith walk that people would be able to plainly see, and Michael promptly lost his job. We have been truly growing in our faith ever since, and now Michael is really growing in leaps and bounds...studying to become a preacher. When I described all of this to my friend, she laughed and said that is why she doesn't pray for more faith or anything because she is afraid of something bad happening!

Marcy G. Dyer said...

Oh but God exchanges beauty for ashes! Your friend doesn't know what she's missing!

Afsoon and Shapour said...

I have visited your blog and enjoyed it very much. It has a great inspiration.

Would you like to visit my weblog which I created about 7 months ago?

My wife and I are Iranian and live in the UK. We love Jesus and our weblog is mostly about our Lord. Since we are Iranian we have added some Persian topics to the weblog, but you can read and watch English ones.

Our weblog is http://creation-to-eternity.blogspot.com

God Bless,

Shapour.

Marcy G. Dyer said...

Thank you! I will check out your blog.