Thursday, May 05, 2011

Mother's Day

Mother's Day can be a bittersweet time for those of us who have lost our mothers.

As Mother's Day cames around, I tend to get a little melancholy but then I remember Jesus promised me beauty for ashes. He promised us joy will come in the morning.

Mom had been ill for quite a few years before she passed away and while I mourned losing her, I knew when she died, she would wake up in heaven with her Lord and Savior. I couldn't help but have joy for her while I had sadness for myself.

God has used my loss to help others. As I nurse, I have usually worked with chronic or terminally ill patients and now I have a better understanding of what the patient's children are going through as they watch their mother's slip away. I pray that better understanding leads to more empathy.

If your mother has gone home to be with the Lord, I pray He will give you peace and joy.

No comments: