Saturday, October 22, 2011

Social Media and Rum?

As a writer I strive to stay up to date with the social media platforms. Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Instagram, Hootsuite, just to name a few are great tools to promote books and authors.


Recently I began using Klout. This site tells ranks you based on your influence in the cyber world of social media. My current Klout score is forty-nine on a scale of one to one hundred.


Klout also lists the topics I'm influential about. As a writer, being influential about authors didn't surprise me. Neither did arthritis since I have an arthritis blog - http://ragimp.blogspot.com 


The third topic that Klout says I am influential in, however, did surprise me. Klout says I'm influential about rum. Rum? Really? I don't recall ever blogging, tweeting or posting about rum but I'm influential about it.


If I'm going to be influential about rum I feel an obligation to post this disclaimer: I know nothing about rum. 


Shocking confession from someone Klout claims is influential about the subject but there you have it. I have used coconut rum from St. Thomas to make a coconut rum cake. My family loved the cake but I don't know the difference in coconut rum from St. Thomas and the rum you buy at a local liquor store.


So, if you use Klout, you may find some interesting topics that you never knew could be influential in. Since I have influence in the wide world of rum, maybe I should do some research?

2 comments:

Tracy Krauss said...

It certainly makes you wonder how they gather their stats!

Rita Garcia said...

Interesting. Definitely wonder where they gather information from. :)