Monday, December 19, 2011

Why I Write.....

I was once asked why I write. My response, "because I have to." I can't not write. Writing is as much a part of me as breathing. If I don't write for a while, anxiety builds and I feel compelled to put words down on paper.

Most writers write because they have no choice. Something deep inside drives us. When most people hear an interesting story, they don't think much of it, when a writer hears an interesting story, she thinks, "Hmmm. There's a book in there somewhere."

My idea file overflows and I have trouble forcing myself to edit and rewrite before moving on to the next manuscript. A news story, an article in a newspaper, an anecdote a friend tells are all fodder for my wild imagination.

An imagination that never rests. I have vivid, adventurous dreams and my daydreams are no less wild. By putting words to paper and crafting a story, I channel that imagination into something fun and creative.

If you have a compulsion to write, develop that God-given drive and join me in this adventure.


1 comment:

Paula Wiseman said...

I hear you :-) I have a "never-resting imagination" as well. My characters are constantly injecting themselves into my daily routines. It's easiest to just give them some ink. Happy writing!